"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

La'au lapa'au on the Full Moons ... gathering St. Joan's Wort for sunscreen

Yesterday, late morning, I wrapped my head up with a bandana, put on my floppy hat, buttoned up my long-sleeved shirt and put my apron on. I was on a foraging outing. I spotted St. Joan's/St. John's Wort the day before, Nature's sunscreen.

With the temperatures in the high 80's and beyond here in usually shady Pacific Northwest country the urge to forage is keen in me. Choosing not to buy sunscreen off the shelf, I consulted Susun Weed, and took myself outside. Here are a couple pictures of a tincture, and an oil in the making.

Here's the tincture, after 24 hours. The bright yellow wildflower and green stems have already turned the Vodka red.
Tincture needs to 'brew' for at least 6 weeks. I gathered these flowers on the corner of a busy highway and cross street.

This is the St. Joan's Wort Oil, made with flowers gathered along a beautiful country road not far from our home.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT nature's sunscreen I put up YouTubes over on my HO'OMOKU Blog ... here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!