"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Friday, April 24, 2015

Na 'Ole Po (the 'Ole Moons)

What?

During the wind times of the passed few days and nights, I came across a change in a snapped tree (a hemlock or fir) that was caught between two near-by 'ohana (family).

The trunk remaining has separated from the rotted top.

Like a precarious seesaw the fallen is held in place ... at least for now.
CAUTION take another trail through the woods!

These are the four moons of 'Ole, times for reflection, weeding, cleaning, sharping tools, and preparing for the next steps. As Mahina approaches her fullness (HO'ONUI phases) I am conscious of the astrology behind such a moon. It is important to know on what land, what place I am. I reflect upon the connections with the First Peoples' of this moku; pa'a this connection to the Tulalip Lushootseed Language where my husband and I start to learn the sounds, words, 'olelo of this place. Listen. Hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!