"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Nana i ke kumu ... look to the source

Last night, at dusk, the rain dangled like diamonds, soaked the dragon

left puddles for the first time in two moons (two months)

Watering the potted Rose of Sharon, the blossoms burst 



Ripples in puddles, reflect what is above

This morning there are clouds and blue sky

This morning on the Prairie Front (South Whidbey Tilth) spider webs catch rain drops


I ask Pete to show me the two trees who have joined hands. I tell him "They know something." 

From the Prairie Front I intended to go straight home; the long ferry 'dump' (cars streaming off the ferry) changed my mind. I headed for the Maxwelton Watershed. Checking on the growth of St. Joan's Wort at this time, I was curious of her availability. Was she still growing since my harvesting shortly after Summer Solstice?
"YES, she said. I am still here."

Many of the flowers had turned from yellow to red, but a few still grow yellow. I was tempted to harvest today. Huna ... the flowers hide. Maybe not today. And, yes, not today because I have no scissors to cut her. 'I won't pull your hair to satisfy my need!" I tell her I'll be back if that's alright with her; with a scissors closer to Hoku the Full Moon which is Friday coming. 

The lei la'i is dried now, but beautiful in our car. Reminding me to braid TEK (Traditional Ecological Knowledge) with the Mundane (the everyday today which is like a wild bean crazy with going places)

My straw hat wears a special flat leaf of Sacred Cedar, a tiny bit from a very special Cedar growing not far from our vardo. She reminds me to remember all the things, people, places that are important.

In the field behind the fence where I have spotted St. Joan's Wort cows munch. What you can't see are the soaring Swallows gliding and diving. Maybe I am too close for their comfort. I don't stay long.

Just before I leave I look up and see the source ... Nana i ke kumu ... is there a promise of water, precious giver of life.

"We give thanks to all of the waters of the world for quenching our thirst, for providing strength and nurturing life for all beings. We know its power in many forms--waterfalls and rain, mists and streams, rivers and oceans, snow and ice. We are grateful that the waters are still here and meeting their responsibility to the rest of Creation. Can we agree that water is important to our lives and bring our minds together as one to send greetings and thanks to the Water? Now our minds are one."
- The Words Before All Else The Thanksgiving Address of the Onandaga language

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!