"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

POI BOWL ... a traditional form of introductions


When you acknowledge what you do not want, and then ask yourself, "What is it that I do want?" you begin a gradual shift into the telling of your new story and into a much-improved point of attraction.
You get the essence of what you think about - whether you want it or not - because Law of Attraction is unerringly consistent - therefore, you are never only telling the story of "how it is now." You are also telling the future experience that you are creating right now.
--- Abraham
Excerpted from the book "Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness"
 A STORY
When I was a girl growing up in Kuliouou Valley on the island of Oahu, my mother had a large wooden bowl.  The bowl sat on the shelf along with all the bits and papers that filled her life.  Sometimes the bowl filled with the papers, but mostly as I remember it, the bowl was crowded by stuff.  Dust collected everywhere, so the bowl collected dust.  When Daddy painted the living room the paint from the redwood walls smudged the edge of the bowl, blending with the dust. 

In time, the old house emptied.  My brother went to Viet Nam in 1970, I married and moved to Washington.  We both returned, different people.  War had imprinted my brother, I was a mother and wife.  Daddy passed first, my Ma remained in her home for several years after that and still the bowl remained on the shelf, on the table, filled with papers, and covered with dust.  House-keeping was a low end priority for my mother.  It was people who mattered most to her, and if they did not come to her she sought them out. 
Waikiki, 2008 ... traditions grow and expand
Ma would have been 93 this March.  When she passed while sitting in her pajamas on her back porch, that wooden bowl and our family pohaku ku`i 'ai (a stone used for making poi) passed to me.  My mother spoke Hawaiian fluently, yet kept the language secret.  I never understood that, but did not press her to teach us either.  The language and the ancient practices were always there well-hidden secrets covered with dust and the everyday.  The wooden bowl was my mother's POI BOWL, a source of wisdom, nourishment and tradition waiting for me to grow into readiness. I have been doing that every since, have passed both that bowl and the Pohaku Ku'i Poi (the stone for pounding poi) to my son who has passed the Poi Bowl to the elders in Aotearoa (New Zealand).  My son extends that lineage of teachings through his work with LomiLomi and Na Mea Hawaii (Hawaiian culture) to places across the oceans, to places beyond my imagination. 

POI BOWL ... a traditional practice of Introduction
PASSING THE POI BOWL is an offer of hospitality, and an invitation to introduce yourself.


Pete and I will do that now, and then pass the bowl to you. 


Mokihana here:
Aloha,

This is my history and these are my ancestors ...

My name is Yvonne Mokihana Calizar.  Many call me "Moki" or "Mokihana", others know me as "Yvonne", some call me "Titi", and "Aunty", one calls me "Mom" and another calls me "Honey." I am the oldest daughter of Helen Mokihana Daniels Amona Calizar and David Jesus Calizar.  My mother was born in the Kapalama district of Kalihi on Oahu.  My father was born in the Philippines.  I am sister to David Calizar, Jr., mother to Christopher Kawika Brown, and wife to Dean Peter Little.  I was born in 1947, in Palolo Valley on the island of Oahu.  My family moved soon after that to Kuliouou Valley where my brother and I lived for more than twenty years.  I live now on the island of Whidbey, in the Puget Sound, in the Pacific Northwest, Washington with my husband Pete. 

This is what I envision for myself on the horizon...
I call myself many things, a storyteller, a writer, and for a long time the 'normal' in my life has been in the process of changing dramatically:  I've been learning what I do not want. Today, I love creating a new story of my life:  what I do want through asking and choosing thoughts, ideas and word bridges based on more and more stable basics of my reality.  I am learning to tune to Source to allow co-creating a better, feel-good, beautiful  life not yet here; yet it is over kela and I am getting closer to it!

Pete here:

Aloha,
My name is Dean Pete Little.  I like the name Pete which I use more often as my Dad was Dean B. Little of  seven generations of the Littles from Ireland.  My Mother, Rose Adamchuk's family came from the Urkraine in the 1890's. I have two brothers and four sisters with Mary the oldest sister passing on last fall.  I was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and have lived in some twenty to thirty homes, apartments, towns,cities and one Vardo since.
 I spend my time building and fixing things  for friends and folks, young and old so their life is more enjoyable and working in gardens growing food.  What I love most is living with Mokihana wherever we happen to be.

***To continue with the workshop CLICK HERE to go to The KUMULIPO

8 comments:

  1. Aloha to all for joining Mokihana and I for this cycle of the Moon. I knew of the some of stories Mokihana has prepared for us and now after reading of the Hokule'a, I know this is going to be lots of fun.
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha

    My name is Ivonne Renee Avalos. I go by my middle name Renee.

    I was born in San Francisco, California to my parents, Ricardo Mauricio Avalos and Martha Haydee Lara.
    I have an older brother Ricardo Mauricio Avalos Jr, he goes by Rick.
    My brother and I are 1st generation born in the United States.
    My mother and father are both from El Salvador, Central America.
    My mother was born in Tonacatepeque, San Salvador and my father was born in Santa Ana, San Salvador. Both of my grandparents are from El Salvador, and so on.
    My parents moved to the U.S in 1963, and lived here (in Redwoodcity, Ca) until my mom passed away, March of 2001. My dad then decided to move back to El Salvador. That is where he currently resides.
    I now live in Marin County. Specifically in Mill Valley. I fell in love with Mt.Tamalpais and vowed to never be too far from this great source of inspiration, Mt. Tamalpais.

    For work I am a private chef. It means I cook in people’s home, privately for them. Some people have become so busy with their work and life, that they don’t have time to cook for themselves. I am honored to have this profession, and it that same vein I am dedicated to the Food Arts…composting, gardening, canning, learning.

    I am 41 years old. And am dedicated to learning from spirit, nature, El Cielo Santo.

    Ill pass the bowl now too.
    Mahalo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahalo Renee, How nice to see you here, and know family. You and they are truly welcome here.

    Mokihana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha,
    My name is Heidi Katherine Struble and I currently live in Oakland, Ca. I was born and raised in Santa Maria, an agricultural town in central California. I am the only daughter of Diana P Lloyd and William E Struble. My mother is from Seattle and now lives on Anderson Island in Washington. My father was raised in Loomis, California. He is remarried and has an avocado farm in Arroyo Grande, Calif.

    I have studied many things: fine art photography, science, and alternative healing. I make a living through science but my heart is in the healing arts. In the last few years I have become committed to, as quoted earlier by Barry Lopez, "looking for a way back in" to spirit, the natural world. I am presently on a journey to deepen this connection and I am learning how to live within the natural balance through trust. I am especially grateful for my Hawaiian teachers who share their traditional knowledge. It is through the light of aloha that I feel most connected.

    Mahalo for creating this workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahalo for your Kumulipo, Heidi. We are honored to know you are here and welcome your family as well. You are most welcome for the mana'o shared here.

    Mokihana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Mokihana & Pete

    My name is Selina Lewis Davidson. I was born and raised Berkeley CA. I have recently returned to the area after being away for 25 years. My husband two daughters, Grace 9yrs & Georgia 7 yrs, and I moved from New York City so that we could be close to family. Most of my extended family were born and still live here.

    When I was seven years old and my sister was 4 years old, my father and his second wife move to her home in Hawai'i.She grew up in Kaimukī Honolulu. Back in Kaimuki they had two daughters and two sons, my sisters and bothers. This was my introduction to Hawaii.

    Currently I study Hula and Hawaiian culture at my halau. I danced when I was young but when I started Hula I felt like I was HOME.

    I lived in New york for 18 years, where I met my husband, where my girls were born and where I built my career as a documentary filmmaker.

    I am so pleased that you are giving this workshop! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and pointing us in the direction of deep exploration.

    Mahalo
    selina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welina, Selena ... what music! Welcome. Your story of big circular voyages is just the kind we love to hear. I was born in Kaimuki Valley! We moved when I was an infant, but KAIMUKI remains very dear to me. "Deep exploration" is such a fitting description for this voyaging. I hope to learn more about your documentary making life as we continue this workshop! Mahalo for your shaping of the story from the poi bowl. Mokihana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha. Mokihana ke'ia. It feels good to be together again, continuing to share and explore the gift of time. I feel the new growth begun in April and give thanks for those blessings. As mahina darkens to our view from Earth, it's wonderful to come to the Poi Bowl to begin again.

    I am still Yvonne Mokihana Calizar, yet time has brought me more life and experiences in the past 30 moons. The bowl fills, what needs to be left behind or turned to compost? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!